Trimethylboron is used as an organometallic precursor for the CVD of boron-carbon containing films and as a boron source in the deposition of borophosphosilicate glass (BPSG).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
7 23 26 36/37/39 43 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
907 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Cylinder temperature should not exceed 125 F (52 C).
Wear appropriate government approved respirator, chemical-resistant gloves, safety goggles, other protective clothing.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. ELIMINATE all ignition sources, combustibles and ground all equipment. Fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Do not direct water at spill or source of leak. If possible, turn leaking containers so that gas escapes rather than liquid. Isolate area until gas has dispersed. CHLOROSILANES, use AFFF alcohol-resistant medium expansion foam to reduce vapors.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures. Reactions to Avoid: Reacts violently with:
Water, Strong oxidizing agents, Halogens.
Borane/boron oxides, Methane gas.
For small fires, use cry chemical, CO2, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. FOR CHLOROSILANES, DO NOT USE WATER; use AFFF alcohol-resistant medium expansion foam.
Flammable; may be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May form explosive mixtures with air.
Vapors from liquefied gas are initially heavier than air and spread along ground. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Toxic. Reacts violently with water. Spontaneously flammable in air. Toxic by inhalation and in contact with skin.
May be toxic/fatal if inhaled. Contact may cause burns, severe injury and/or frostbite.
May be toxic/fatal if absorbed through skin. Contact may cause burns, severe injury and/or frostbite.
Contact may cause burns, severe injury and/or frostbite.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. In case of contact with liquefied gas, thaw frosted parts with lukewarm water.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.