- Trimethyl silyl chloride
A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
Intermediate for silicone fluids, as a chain terminating agent, imparting water repellency.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, corrosive
R 11 14 21 34
S 16 26 36/37/39 45
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
220 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
0.34 cp (50 C)
17 g/s2 (20 C)
1.3870 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acids, methanoic acid, oxalic acid), alcohols and glycols (e.g. butyl alcohol, ethanol, methanol, ethylene glycol), aldehydes (e.g. acetaldehyde, acrolein, chloral hydrate, formaldehyde), amides (e.g. butyramide, diethyltoluamide, dimethyl formamide), amines (aliphatic and aromatic, e.g. dimethyl amine, propylamine, pyridine, triethylamine), azo, diazo, and hydrazines (e.g. dimethyl hydrazine, hydrazine, methyl hydrazine), dithiocarbamates (e.g. ferbam, maneb, metham, thiram), esters (e.g. butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, propyl formate), halogenated organics (e.g. dibromoethane, hexachlorobenzene, methyl chloride, trichloroethylene), isocyanates (e.g. methyl isocyanate), ketones (e.g. acetone, ac
Hydrogen chloride, phosgene, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, silicon oxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Water Reactive. Extinguishing media: Use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. DO NOT USE WATER! Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
Dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Contact with water applied to adjacent fires produces irritating hydrogen chloride. Flammable liquid. Trichlorosilane is highly flammable. Trichlorosilane
Violent reaction with water. Toxic and irritating hydrogen chloride and phosgene may be formed in fires. Difficult to extinguish, re-ignition may occur. Flashback along vapor trail may occur. Containers may explode in fire. Vapor may explode if ignited in enclosed area. When heated to decomposition or on contact with acids or acid fumes, chloride fumes are emitted. Reacts with surface moisture, releasing hydrogen chloride, which will corrode common metals and form flammable hydrogen gas. Avoid contact with water; it readily hydrolyzes, liberating hydrochloric acid.
Toxic and irritating hydrogen chloride and phosgene may be formed in fires.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes severe eye burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2931 00 95
Std. Transport #