- Phenyl phosphate
Colorless solid, phenol-like odor.
Noncombustible substitute for camphor in celluloid, impregnating roofing paper, rendering acetylcellulose, nitrocellulose, airplane dope stable & fireproof, plasticizer in lacquers & varnishes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
dangerous for the environment
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
50 - 51
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1E-6 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Less than 132 ppm (0.01%) at 30 C (calculated)
1.33 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
9.50 cp (55 C)
38.71 g/s2 (84 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Phosphine, carbon monoxide, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Slight fire risk when exposed to heat or flame.
Hazardous decomposition products: Toxic gases and vapors (such as phosphoric acid fume and carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire involving triphenyl phosphate.
NIOSH REL: TWA 3 mg/m3 OSHA PEL: TWA 3 mg/m3 1000 mg/m3
No human cases of peripheral neuropathy due to triphenyl phosphate exposure have been reported. In experimental animals, a delayed onset dying back or distal axonopathy type of peripheral neuropathy is seen.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
2919 00 10