A white crystalline solid.
Antifeeding compound for insect pest control, fungicide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic for reproduction Category 3; Very toxic; Toxic; Irritant; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Organometallic; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.55 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
9 mg/L of @ 20 C
Hazards and Protection.
Store under dark and dry condition.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
When handling this material, wear goggles, a respirator, rubber gloves, and protective clothes. Safety goggles or face shields should be worn (8 inch minimum). Impervious clothing should include gloves, aprons, and suits. Wear appropriate chemical protective gloves, boots and goggles.
Any self-contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure-demand or other positive pressure mode; or any supplied-air respirator with a full facepiece and operated in a pressure-demand or other positive pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self-contained breathing apparatus operated in pressure-demand or other positive pressure mode.
(Non-Specific -- Organotin pesticide, n.o.s.) Keep unnecessary people away; isolate hazard area and deny entry. Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Ventilate closed spaces before entering them. Remove and isolate contaminated clothing at the site. Do not touch spilled material; stop leak if you can do it without risk. Use water spray to reduce vapors. Small spills: absorb with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into containers for later disposal. Small dry spills: with clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover; move containers from spill area. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal.
Stable when dry, but is relatively easily decomp when exposed to air or light, finally forming insol tin compound.
Incompatible with emulsifiable preparations and pastes. Rapidly hydrolyzed by water to hydroxide. Must not be mixed with oil emulsions. Contact with strong oxidizers may cause fires and explosions. Organic tin compounds will attack some forms of plastics, rubber, and coatings.
(Non-Specific -- Organotin pesticide, n.o.s.) Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Ventilate closed spaces before entering them. Wear positive pressure breathing apparatus and special protective clothing. Move container from fire area if you can do so without risk. Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material.(Non-Specific -- Organotin pesticide, n.o.s.) Small fires: dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or foam. Large fires: water spray, fog, or foam.
It is neither flammable nor autoignitible.
Avoid air, light and moisture.
Toxic gases and vapors may be released in a fire involving organic tin compounds.
OSHA: PEL (8 h TWA): 0.1 mg/m3.
Encephalopathy, confusion, coma, sensorimotor polyneuropathy, headache, nausea, eeg changes, dizziness, vertigo, disorientation, psychosis, and weakness or flaccid paralysis of the limbs may occur, particularly following ingestion. Cerebral edema has been described following exposure to certain organotin compounds. Seizures and a diffuse sensation of pain may occur. Tremors may be noted. Long-term sequelae of acute poisoning have included paresthesias, headaches, visual abnormalities, aggressive behavior, memory deficits, and extrapyramidal hyperkinesis.
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, retching, nausea, and vomiting have been reported after triphenyltin ingestion.
Respiratory tract irritation and cough have occurred with occupational organotin exposure. Systemic organotin poisoning has occurred following inhalation exposure. Respiratory depression may occur, particularly following ingestion. Symptoms of trialkyl tin intoxication include shortness of breath.
Organotin compounds are primary skin irritants and can be absorbed through intact skin. Skin lesions and itching occurred with occupational organotin exposure. Symptoms of trialkyl tin intoxication include possible skin burns, erythema, or dermatitis.
Do not induce emesis - dilution: following ingestion and/or prior to gastric evacuation, immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 15 ml/kg in a child). The possible benefit of early removal of some ingested material by cautious gastric lavage must be weighed against potential complications of bleeding or perforation.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Treat dermal irritation or burns with standard topical therapy. Patients developing dermal hypersensitivity reactions may require treatment with systemic or topical corticosteroids or antihistamines.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Prolonged initial flushing and early ophthalmologic consultation may be advisable if severe irritation or corneal burns are present. Ophthalmologic consultation should also be obtained if visual sequelae develop.
USCG CHRIS Code