- Uranium oxynitrate
- Uranyl dinitrate
Yellow, rhombic crystals.
Intensifier in photography, manufacturing uranium glaze, decorating porcelain, reagent in analytical chemistry.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
2.807 g/cm3 (13 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Protect from physical damage. Store at in cool, dry place. Protect personnel from radiation emanation if present. Separate from combustible, organic or other readily oxidizable materials. Avoid storage on wood floors. Immediately remove and dispose of any spilled nitrate. Usually shipped in nitric acid solution, see nitric acid.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protect against both inhalation and absorption through the skin. Must wear protective clothing including niosh approved rubber gloves and boots, safety goggles or face mask, hooded suit, and either a respirator whose canister is specifically approved for this material, or a self-contained breathing apparatus. Care must be exercised to decontaminate fully or dispose of all equipment and clothing after use.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged packages or spilled material. Cover liquid spill with sand, earth or other noncombustible absorbent material. Cover powder spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading. Contact radiation safety officer.
Occasional detonations when shaken, rubbed, or crushed. Solution in ether may explode when allowed to stand in sunlight. Steam explosion possible.
Upon thermal decomposition uranyl nitrate may emit nitrogen oxide fumes. Uranyl nitrate hexahydrate soln when heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides.
Use flooding amounts of water in early stages of fire. When large quantities are involved in fire, nitrate may fuse, or melt in which condition application of water may result in extensive scattering of molten material.
Noncombustible. In contact with easily oxidizable substances it may react rapidly enough to cause ignition, violent combustion, or explosion. Increases the flammability of any combustible substance.
If large quantities are involved in fire or if the combustible material is finely divided an explosion may result.
Toxic oxides of nitrogen are produced in fires involving this material.
OSHA: PEL (8 h TWA): 0.05 mg
Delayed dyspnea, circulatory collapse, and weak or rapid pulse can occur. Throbbing headache is common. Seizures have been reported following severe intoxication. Behavioral deficits were observed in the adult offspring of rats who received sodium nitrite prenatally.
Initial effects of ingestion are gastric irritation with nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Respiratory depression and cyanosis may be noted, due to methemoglobinemia.
Cyanosis that minimally responds to oxygen therapy may be noted, and is indicative of probable methemoglobinemia.
Visual field defects have been reported in sodium nitrite poisoning.
Immediate life support measures should be provided because of associated hypotension, seizures, and methemoglobinemia-induced anoxia. Ipecac induced vomiting is not recommended because of the potential for seizures.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Some chemicals can produce systemic poisoning by absorption through intact skin. Carefully observe patients with dermal exposure for the development of any systemic signs or symptoms and administer symptomatic treatment as necessary. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
USCG CHRIS Code