- Di-n-propylacetic acid
- 2-Propylpentanoic acid
- 2-Propylvaleric acid
Clear colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Drug; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.044 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.9215 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.4236 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep containers tightly closed. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not breathe vapors.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, reducing agents, bases.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, acrid smoke and fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Water may be ineffective. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
May cause reproductive and fetal effects.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause liver damage. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause central nervous system depression. May cause stupor, drowsiness, unconsiousness, or coma (if ingested in large amounts). Causes changes in exocrine pancreas and sleep disturbances.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.