- Yellow phosphorous
- Yellow phosphorus, molten
Yellow to white lumps.
Primary used in in the production of phosphorous based compounds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Explosive when mixed with oxidizing substances; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 26 28 35 41
S 7 43 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.17 (44 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
2.69 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.3 mg/L (20 C)
1.69 cp (50 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Store protected from light.
B4 D1A E
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Store protected from light. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Cover with sand and place into a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
White and yellow phosphorus reacts explosively with a large number of compounds and elements. Please refer to NFPA 's Fire Protection guide to Hazardous Materials for details. May explode on contact with oxidizing materials. Produces acrid fumes in air. Can be ignited by friction, static electric discharge, heating and mixing with strong oxidizing agents. Reacts with halogens, halides, sulfur and oxidizing materials.
Phosphine, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. This material is readily combustible and may ignite if exposed to friction. Flammable solid. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, sand, water spray, or foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Extremely flammable; will ignite itself if exposed to air.
Burns rapidly, releasing dense, white, irritating fumes. Substance may be transported in a molten form. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
OSHA PEL: TWA 0.1 mg/m3 NIOSH REL: TWA 0.1 mg/m3 NIOSH IDLH: 5 mg/m3
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. Chronic exposure can lead to necrosis of the jaw, or 'phossy-jaw'.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause liver and kidney damage.
May cause severe burns.. Very toxic.
May cause skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis.
May cause eye irritation. May result in corneal injury.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.