- Zinc dross
- Zinc ashes
White or yellowish-white powder or crystals, odorless.
Accelerator activator, pigment and reinforcing agent in rubber, ointments, pigment and mould-growth inhibitor in paints, UV absorber in plastics, ceramics, floor tile, glass, zinc salts, feed additive, dietary supplement, seed treatment cosmetics, photoconductor in office copying machines and in colour photography, piezoelectric devices, artists' colorant.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
dangerous for the environment
S 60 61
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
4 mg/L (25 C)
2.0041 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Does not meet criteria
Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Magnesium, chlorinated rubber, strong oxidizing agents.
Toxic fumes of zinc oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Material will not burn. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to prevent contact with thermal decomposition products. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Produce flammable gases on contact with water.
May ignite on contact with water or moist air. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. May be transported in highly flammable liquids.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: Dust: TWA 5 mg/m3 C 15 mg/m3 Fume: TWA 5 mg/m3 ST 10 mg/m3 NIOSH IDLH: 500 mg/m3
Effects may be delayed.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Moderately toxic to humans by ingestion.
Effects may be delayed. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema. Zinc oxide dust is considered to be of low toxicity and is classified as a nuisance particulate by the ACGIH. However, inhalation fumes or very fine dust may causes zinc fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, coughing, weakness, fatigue, m uscular pain, and nausea, followed by fever and chills. Onset of sympt oms occurs about 4-12 hours after exposure.
Causes skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis.
Dust may cause mechanical irritation. Causes eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
2817 00 00
Std. Transport #